Mental health refers to a person’s emotional and psychological well-being. A positive mental health helps you live a relatively happy and healthy life
Some strategies that can help you establish a good mental health :
- Having a positive attitude
- Staying physically active
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet
- Getting enough sleep (7–9hrs)
- Helping other people
- Asking for professional help regarding your mental health if you need it.
What is Mental Illness ?
Also known as mental health disorders refers to to a wide range of mental health conditions that affect your thinking, mood and behavior.
Many people have mental health concerns world-wide. But it becomes a mental illness when ongoing signs and symptoms affect your ability to function in day to day life.
Like causing frequent stress in normal daily life such as doing school or office work, or even in relationships.
It can make you feel miserable. But thankfully it can be managed by psychotherapy (talk-therapy) and a combination of medications, if needed.
It can be influenced by several different factors such as:
- Daily habits
- Environment/ Surroundings
There are many types of mental health disorders. In Fact more than 200 different conditions are listed in DSM-5.(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5th edition).
These are some of the most common mental illnesses affecting people worldwide :
- Bipolar Disorder
- Persistent Depressive Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Post-traumatic Stress Disorder
- Social Anxiety Disorder
- Personality Disorder
Mental Illnesses in Teens :
Generally mental health problems start in teenagers and it may cause severe damage to a person if goes unchecked.
Some Symptoms are :
- Excessive sleeping/ lethargic
- Loss of morale/ self-esteem
- Loss of interest in physical activities
- Changes in appetite or weight loss
- Sudden changes in attitude, like anger or aggression
- Feeling of helplessness or lost
- Smoking or using illicit drugs
According to experts, it occurs the most in the people of age group between 15-29.
Mental Health Treatment
Treatment for mental health disorders may vary from person to person and it does not guarantee a cure.
Instead, treatment focuses on reducing the symptoms of the patient and tries to make the condition manageable.
Some of the most common mental health treatments are :
- Psychotherapy (Talk-therapy).
- Medications like antidepressants, anti-anxiety medicines and mood stabilizers.
- Changing the lifestyle, like avoiding alcohol and drugs.
- Listening calming music and Yoga may also help.
If you are dealing with mental problems then you must talk about this with your parents or spouse or any other person you trust.
Ask for professional help if you are having suicidal thoughts.
Remember you are not alone in this.